A helping hand with your job application
If you're thinking of applying for a role at DS Smith, great! We can’t wait to receive your application. And because we want the very best people to join us, we’ve made the application process quick and simple and we’ve even put together this brief guide to help you through it.
As we’re a global business, with opportunities all over Europe and North America, the exact application process may vary a little from country to country. However, the preparation you need to do, to give yourself the best chance of getting the job, will be the same wherever you are.
Step 1. Go for it!
If you've spotted a vacancy on our website that matches your ambitions and skills, there are two ways you can progress. If you’d like to know more about the role, you can contact us through the website. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, we’re here to help and we’d be delighted to talk to you. Or, if you think you have all the information you need, simply hit the ‘apply’ button and follow the next steps to submit your application. We'll then review your application against the role criteria and decide if it could be a good fit for you. And if it is, we’ll invite you for an interview.
Step 2. A little preparation goes a long way
In our experience, applicants that prepare well for their interview stand out. So we suggest you do some research into DS Smith, the specific part of our business you’re applying to join and read up on some of our competitors. It’s also a good idea to think about the types of questions you may be asked and practice your answers.
Step 3. It’s interview day
We know interviews can be nerve wracking and we want to meet the ‘real’ you. Here are a few ways to make sure you’re ready, relaxed and your true personality shines through:
- Whether your interview is over the phone, virtual or face to face, make sure you arrive or are set up for it in plenty of time.
- For phone and virtual interviews, choose a place where noise or items in the background won’t distract you or your interviewer.
- Even if we’re talking to you on the phone – smile. It can change the way you sound and help to convey your enthusiasm and interest in the role.
- Remember to listen carefully to the questions you’re asked and, if you need to, ask to hear them again.
- Take a moment to pause and think about your answers as those few seconds can really help to gather your thoughts and provide a great response.
- Finally, answer truthfully. We know everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and what we’re always looking for is potential; people who acknowledge their areas of development and are willing to learn and grow, just like we are.
Step 4. Now you ask the questions
Our interviews end with an opportunity for you to ask us questions. Think about these beforehand as they could spark a conversation that makes you stand out. Maybe you’re interested in the latest projects we’re working on, who you’d be working with or even what the person interviewing you enjoys most about their job.
Step 5. First – and last – impressions count
The way you end your interview is an opportunity to make sure we’ll remember you. Try to show the same levels of energy and enthusiasm as you did when the interview started and always leave the room or end your call on a positive note!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few of the questions we’re frequently asked about our application and interview process.
To be fair and consistent to all candidates, we require everyone to apply online for vacancies and complete the full application form.
Providing data on personal characteristics is entirely voluntary. But we strive to be a fully inclusive employer and by collecting this data we can ensure our vacancies are open to all members of the communities we operate in.
Unfortunately, due to local employment laws, we’re unable to sponsor a work visa for the vast majority of our vacancies.